Skip to main content

What's With The Hair Religion?

Hey Peeps,

Let me warn you, there may be a few rants in here, hopefully, I'll control my temper/ amusement/ disgust. I'm fairly new to this social media /blog atmosphere on giving a damn about hair, so before I get infected with the "Hair Religion" syndrome I have to put it all out there. It's been less than two months since I started blogging about my hair and my curious quest to find what else is out there has led me to see groups of people who display occultic behaviour, all in the name of hair. S**t be crazy!!!

Firstly, hair apparently has different categories of curls similar to bra sizes except that they have single digits. Your hair curl type determines the type of products you use or more like the cult you join.

Interestingly, this wahala* can be associated with the new fad of going natural (With all due respect to Nigerian ladies who have been natural since forever without making a fuss about it). All of a sudden loose natural hair has become the new cool and every other girl is on a journey of becoming a regime/product junkie.

My beef lies with all those who have streamlined being natural to wearing hair in loose natural form and making it seem like they fought for independence from the west, "kilode, no be only una get natural hair o"**.

Here's my opinion on what natural hair is:

1. Hair that grows from one's head.
2. That's all

Yep, all I'm saying is that whether your hair is loose natural, permed, loc'ed, type 4C or 2A as long as it is from your head it is as natural as the sun.
Relaxed sister, Dabs. Source

Loose Natural Hair Sister. Source
Loc'ed sister Ade of Locitude.

Let's stop forming holier than thou. A ton of so called natural hair babes wear extensions in form of weaves and braids, so this doesn't make you better or more natural than a lady who has chosen relaxers.

To be fair no hair type is easy to maintain or keep healthy. The permed haired girl would  have to face the sting of relaxers and or texlaxers, the trouble of dealing with two different textures before a retouch. The loose natural faces a potential bad hair day every other day and the loc'ed sister faces about a year of the awkward phase and the risk of being unemployable in some companies.

In all of this I haven't mentioned my own hair type too much, we Dada's (loc heads) are mostly non existent to the majority of Nigerians especially when we don't look mad. Most people can't believe my journey of four and a half years is my hair, instead of crucifying them and locking them out of Loc Kingdom, I proudly offer a "touch my hair" inspection to proof the naturalism of my hair.

Shout out to Dabs of naijahaircangrow.blogspot.com. Dabs has been blogging hair care for over 4 years, she's permed and no less natural than any of us with unprocessed hair. As a matter of fact the best hair advice (moisturise and seal) I have gotten since I started scouring the internet was from her blog.

So, all ye loose naturals who are freaking out on your forums, GET A GRIP. Hair is a choice, stop discriminating, it's as good as being racist. Embrace all hair types and lets all root for promoting healthier hair.

In the end, hair matters but "WE ARE NOT OUR HAIR".

My thoughts...

Ade.

* Wahala - Nigerian pidgin english for the word Trouble.
** kilode, no be only una get natural hair o - You are not the only ones with natural hair.

Remember Locitude is 100% opinionated. If you have your opinion you can drop your comment below and or start a blog Google is still free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Locitude #LocInspiration Hair Styles for Short Locs.

Hello Loc Heads, This one is obviously for fellow loc heads in the awkward phase of their locs. The awkward phase is usually sometime around Day 1 - Year 2; when your head is full of scalp after a fresh re-twist and your locs seem too scanty, when your hair unravels after a fresh re-twist before you say can say Jack Robinson; when you think water is your worst enemy because it's preventing your locs from forming; when you are having a bad hair day and you feel like - Oh God if only I could get my hair into a ponytail it would do. I can go on and on... but instead I present you with 7 Style Ideas for short locs. #LocInspiration no. 1: Loc loops or Loc petals. Reminds me of a cropped hair cut, this style looks classy and elegant. Can be worn to an event. It's also neat and can help with a more serious/subtle look. #LocInspiration no. 2: Pinned Up side. Even though it is just pinning up one side of your locs, it always make a difference. A touch Style. You can use ha

Hair How To: Loc Loops/Petals in 4 easy steps.

Hello, #TGIF #ItsTheWeekendBaby #PhotoShootModeActivated #Locitude #HairHowTo #LocsAndAttitude #LocWorkshop #ComingSoon #OkReadBelow. I'm obviously excited, payments for my shipment on brand new dada products stock has finally gone through (It is not easy to be a Nigerian #That'sAll), now waiting for the products to get here. I hope it doesn't take forever. I found this FREE accounting app called waves app, which is helping keep my spend together. I usually get excited when I learn new stuff, so yaaaayi. Seems this hobby is becoming a business sooner than I imagined. Sorry back to the Loc loop Tutorial... Step 1: Select two strands of locs close to each other. (You can use only one strand of loc only or 3-4 depending on how thick your locs are) Step 2: Take the ends of your strands, fold them towards the roots making a loop Step 3: Fasten the base of the loop with a tiny rubber band. Make sure it's not too tight. Step 4: Style to your taste

How I Keep My Loc Curls in Check - The 3 step process.

Hey y'all, Today was a good me day, got to hang out with my friends from way back. I was so so so glad I did. It was much fun and I am still rocking my locs in zigzag curls with an attitude. Just thought to drop a quick one on how I have maintained my locs for a whole week without loosing them. Rocking my Zigzag curls, one week in. Wore them down the whole time. Here's my simple 3 step process. 1. The Satin Bonnet Sleep in a Satin bonnet or Scarf. The primary reason for this is to retain moisture and ensure your locs are not picking up lint from your beddings. The added advantage is that is helps to retain your curls when you are asleep as well. :) 2. The Shower Cap + Tee Shirt Take a bath/shower in a shower cap. reinforced with a tee shirt. Yep, if you are trying to retain your curls water isn't your friend. Once water touches your loc curls they are gone. So I use a tee shirt to hold my shower cap up to ensure I don't get water on