Skip to main content

How To Find The Right Salon, Loctician & Hairdresser.

Note: This post is particularly directed at Nigerian Loc Heads

My Fellow Loc Heads,

I agree that it is extremely difficult to find people who know what to do with your Dada, so I'm going to try and simplify the process of finding the perfect Loc salon and Loctician better known to us hairdresser. Firstly, thanks to the Locitude blog readers and followers on our social media channels for the inspiration for the post. I have been asked severally to recommend salons and errrrr... I don't exactly have a list but here's my recommendation on how I think we can help ourselves.

Our mothers didn't mix lottabody themselves and have salon bags for nothing, they did because they were not going to leave their crowns to the mercy of hairdressers, they at least tried to control went when into their hair, from the quality, quantity and of course some cost control. The point I am trying to make here is that to find the right Loctician you owe it to yourself to know the A,B,C's of your hair so that when someone tells you that M comes before L, you know whether to believe them or not.


In this post I'll try to come up with three easy steps to help you determine if your Loctician is good for you or not. 

1. Washing Regimen:
Have your products (Shampoo and Conditioner) or at least know what your stylist is using, make sure you are comfortable with it and that it isn't stripping your hair too dry or that it isn't too oily for your hair and scalp. Ensure your stylist isn't trying to scratch the skin of your scalp off by washing too aggressively. Using the tips of the fingers (not scratching with nails) to massage your scalp with Shampoo is a more effective means of getting dirt off scalp. For people with longer locs let your loctician know not to neglect wash the body of your locs, they need to be cleaned as well.

Below is a video that shows a basic proper washing process.

I use Jamaican Mango and Lime Tingle Shampoo and Protein Conditioner. If you consider using the same you can get them from either Casabella at the Palms shopping mall or Savvy & Chic Hair Beauty hub

2. Twisting Regimen:
Again have products you are comfortable with and that don't leave residue in your locs. In my experience twisting my hair so far I have found that this is not supposed to be a painful process.  If re-twisting is painful your loctician is probably over-twisting your hair, which can cause thinning locs and or eventual breakage. I currently twist my hair with the Clip free maintenance method. Pulling the loc strands to dry can be a little painful though. I personally won't recommend interlocking because it damaged some parts of my hair. So be sure that loctician is using products that are friendly to your hair and not over twisting.

I currently use olive oil to retwist my loc strands, though a Locitude blog reader has recommended Jamaican Mango and Lime Island Oil. I would be trying that soon and will be sure to put out a review.

3. Styling Regimen
I have had sores on my scalp from styling in the past. The hair do was so tight, I kept telling myself it would loosen up after a few  days, it didn't till I took out the threads that were holding them up and by the time I put my hands on my scalp there were sores. Please ensure your hair is NEVER styled too tightly. Don't let your loctician put in rubberbands that are too tight. Another styling method I struggle with is threading; I have found myself picking out thread from my hair as much as 3 months after I have taken down a style that required it. I would recommend that when thread is used they are used in a long loop and stylist has to make some extra efforts in removing thread strands when they are taking your hair apart.

Another helpful tip which has worked for me whilst styling my hair at a Salon was going with a "How To" video. Showing the stylist how the style you want was created often sends them on the right path. 

Found this on very useful and funny link on Hair Salon Hazards, read and laugh. Other Locitude useful links are the Do's and Don'ts, read if you haven't; you'll take a thing or two away from those articles.

If you got to this point, I do hope this was worth the read 'cos the next few lines are better. I apologise that I won't be recommending any stylist in this post, however I am so so happy to announce that Locitude is organising a LOC WORKSHOP AND STYLIST COMPETITION come October, 2014...

Yep! you heard it here first and I am super excited. Whilst distributing the Locitude Mini Magazine, I found stylists who were hungry for knowledge so I have decided to organise this event. I figure that sharing the little knowledge and exposure I have would help more loc heads on a path to healthy locs. The ground work has started; I will definitely be updating you with more details in the month of August. By the end of the Workshop we should have a long list of Locticians that at least know the A,B,C's and 1,2,3's of locs.

That's all for now folks. Thanks for reading and I have been rocking some pipe cleaner curls with an attitude these past three weeks.

Your Loc Head,
Ade.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Locitude #LocInspiration Hair Styles for Short Locs.

Hello Loc Heads, This one is obviously for fellow loc heads in the awkward phase of their locs. The awkward phase is usually sometime around Day 1 - Year 2; when your head is full of scalp after a fresh re-twist and your locs seem too scanty, when your hair unravels after a fresh re-twist before you say can say Jack Robinson; when you think water is your worst enemy because it's preventing your locs from forming; when you are having a bad hair day and you feel like - Oh God if only I could get my hair into a ponytail it would do. I can go on and on... but instead I present you with 7 Style Ideas for short locs. #LocInspiration no. 1: Loc loops or Loc petals. Reminds me of a cropped hair cut, this style looks classy and elegant. Can be worn to an event. It's also neat and can help with a more serious/subtle look. #LocInspiration no. 2: Pinned Up side. Even though it is just pinning up one side of your locs, it always make a difference. A touch Style. You can use ha

Hair How To: Loc Loops/Petals in 4 easy steps.

Hello, #TGIF #ItsTheWeekendBaby #PhotoShootModeActivated #Locitude #HairHowTo #LocsAndAttitude #LocWorkshop #ComingSoon #OkReadBelow. I'm obviously excited, payments for my shipment on brand new dada products stock has finally gone through (It is not easy to be a Nigerian #That'sAll), now waiting for the products to get here. I hope it doesn't take forever. I found this FREE accounting app called waves app, which is helping keep my spend together. I usually get excited when I learn new stuff, so yaaaayi. Seems this hobby is becoming a business sooner than I imagined. Sorry back to the Loc loop Tutorial... Step 1: Select two strands of locs close to each other. (You can use only one strand of loc only or 3-4 depending on how thick your locs are) Step 2: Take the ends of your strands, fold them towards the roots making a loop Step 3: Fasten the base of the loop with a tiny rubber band. Make sure it's not too tight. Step 4: Style to your taste

How I Keep My Loc Curls in Check - The 3 step process.

Hey y'all, Today was a good me day, got to hang out with my friends from way back. I was so so so glad I did. It was much fun and I am still rocking my locs in zigzag curls with an attitude. Just thought to drop a quick one on how I have maintained my locs for a whole week without loosing them. Rocking my Zigzag curls, one week in. Wore them down the whole time. Here's my simple 3 step process. 1. The Satin Bonnet Sleep in a Satin bonnet or Scarf. The primary reason for this is to retain moisture and ensure your locs are not picking up lint from your beddings. The added advantage is that is helps to retain your curls when you are asleep as well. :) 2. The Shower Cap + Tee Shirt Take a bath/shower in a shower cap. reinforced with a tee shirt. Yep, if you are trying to retain your curls water isn't your friend. Once water touches your loc curls they are gone. So I use a tee shirt to hold my shower cap up to ensure I don't get water on