Skip to main content

Why I Decided To Loc My Hair!

Hello Peeps,

So today I will be deploying my magical powers of time travel to reminisce on how I decided to change my hairstyle from being a relaxed natural to becoming a Dada head. If you are wondering what relaxed natural means then you should read "What's with the hair Religion?".

I had a dream where an old woman told me... Just kidding, my loc story is not queer. I liked locs as a hairstyle for no apparent reason and always wanted to have it. I also thought that once I got my hair loc'd I wouldn't need to worry about salons anymore. Anytime I saw someone with locs, I would walk up to them and ask questions; the "can I touch your hair question?" inclusive. I'll say my loc inspiration at the time was Barbie Adebo @kandicolouredbarbie on Instagram. I knew when she had started her locs, seen them grow and I just loved them.

I recall my first attempt to go loc'd was in 2006 just before my final B.Sc. project. I had worn two strand twist extensions for almost 8 weeks and needed to take them out badly; but didn't want to sit through the process so I had a fantastic idea to chop the twist of my head. I did, with the help of my good friend Kamah. Later went to a random barber on University road to have my hair evenly trimmed. I figured it was finally time to start my loc journey.

On getting to my department one day with my teeny weeny afro palm twisted, our then department secretary walked up to me and told me frankly to get my hair fixed if I wanted to graduate from the University. I was too chicken to contest the unspoken department law so I opted to texturize my hair. Carried baby curls for a few months and then I eventually went back to relaxers.

My loc journey didn't start till 2009, after I had graduated from the same department with a Masters, got a job, completed my NYSC and had no claws and stares to hold me back. November  2009, after I had  not retouched my hair for about 6 months, had un-comb-able growth and fixed the ugliest weave-on ever; I vexed and did another big chop then started this very interesting journey down loc lane.

So that's it, I obviously was never scared to put a scissors through my relaxed hair, i didn't particularly hate it, or hate relaxers or the "relaxed" look. I guess I was just tired and wanted something unique and different. I went for it, looked back many times but very grateful I still have my beautiful loc'd strands. At the moment, don't try bringing a scissors near my locs, somebody may die... lol.

Here's a selfie of what my hair's looking like today in my one week old pipe cleaner curls.

A few of the curls are beginning to do their own thing,
I'll try manipulating them into another hairdo tomorrow
You'll definitely see the results if I succeed.
Want to feature in Hair Story of the 2nd edition of Locitude Mini Magazine in October? Send me an email on Locitude@gmail.com. I have only four slots, none taken at the time of this posting this piece. Acceptance would be based on the first email requests received.

Next post, I'll be writing on Loc Salons in Lagos, Nigeria as requested by a couple of Locitude readers, watch out, 'cos it totally going to be worth it. :).

Na nite,
Your Loc Head
Ade.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Locitude #LocInspiration Hair Styles for Short Locs.

Hello Loc Heads, This one is obviously for fellow loc heads in the awkward phase of their locs. The awkward phase is usually sometime around Day 1 - Year 2; when your head is full of scalp after a fresh re-twist and your locs seem too scanty, when your hair unravels after a fresh re-twist before you say can say Jack Robinson; when you think water is your worst enemy because it's preventing your locs from forming; when you are having a bad hair day and you feel like - Oh God if only I could get my hair into a ponytail it would do. I can go on and on... but instead I present you with 7 Style Ideas for short locs. #LocInspiration no. 1: Loc loops or Loc petals. Reminds me of a cropped hair cut, this style looks classy and elegant. Can be worn to an event. It's also neat and can help with a more serious/subtle look. #LocInspiration no. 2: Pinned Up side. Even though it is just pinning up one side of your locs, it always make a difference. A touch Style. You can use ha

Hair How To: Loc Loops/Petals in 4 easy steps.

Hello, #TGIF #ItsTheWeekendBaby #PhotoShootModeActivated #Locitude #HairHowTo #LocsAndAttitude #LocWorkshop #ComingSoon #OkReadBelow. I'm obviously excited, payments for my shipment on brand new dada products stock has finally gone through (It is not easy to be a Nigerian #That'sAll), now waiting for the products to get here. I hope it doesn't take forever. I found this FREE accounting app called waves app, which is helping keep my spend together. I usually get excited when I learn new stuff, so yaaaayi. Seems this hobby is becoming a business sooner than I imagined. Sorry back to the Loc loop Tutorial... Step 1: Select two strands of locs close to each other. (You can use only one strand of loc only or 3-4 depending on how thick your locs are) Step 2: Take the ends of your strands, fold them towards the roots making a loop Step 3: Fasten the base of the loop with a tiny rubber band. Make sure it's not too tight. Step 4: Style to your taste

How I Keep My Loc Curls in Check - The 3 step process.

Hey y'all, Today was a good me day, got to hang out with my friends from way back. I was so so so glad I did. It was much fun and I am still rocking my locs in zigzag curls with an attitude. Just thought to drop a quick one on how I have maintained my locs for a whole week without loosing them. Rocking my Zigzag curls, one week in. Wore them down the whole time. Here's my simple 3 step process. 1. The Satin Bonnet Sleep in a Satin bonnet or Scarf. The primary reason for this is to retain moisture and ensure your locs are not picking up lint from your beddings. The added advantage is that is helps to retain your curls when you are asleep as well. :) 2. The Shower Cap + Tee Shirt Take a bath/shower in a shower cap. reinforced with a tee shirt. Yep, if you are trying to retain your curls water isn't your friend. Once water touches your loc curls they are gone. So I use a tee shirt to hold my shower cap up to ensure I don't get water on