Skip to main content

Dear Loc Hater

Dear Loc Hater,

I don't want to be upset with you any longer and your ignorance is becoming too painful to watch; so I have decided to do you a favour, to educate you about this thing called Dada (locs, dreadlocks) because you obviously do not understand it.

1.  It is none of your business.

How I choose to wear my hair is really not any of your business, so you can keep your hateful comments to yourself. Come on, life is already complicated enough for you to be worrying over my own hair. Don't you have work?

2.  It is my hair.

My dada is growing from my head, it is mine, and there's nothing wrong with that. It certainly shouldn't be more acceptable to wear someone else's hair, should it? Additionally can you please stop calling me "Liar" when I honestly tell you my hair is mine; and yes all of it is mine. No there are no extensions in there. It is all mine.

3. Stop stereotyping.

Making assumptions about someone just because of their hair is a petty thing to do. People are a sum of their experiences not their appearance. Especially appearances they can't necessarily change. Having locs is an option to managing hair of African  decent. So no, not every lochead is a crack head and not every girl who wears a weave is a materialistic bimbo. I don't need to draw more parallels for you to get my point. Do I?

4. Bad hair days

It may interest you to know that what you think is a bad hair day for me is exactly how I intended my hair to be. No, the standard of beauty is not straight hair and sleek edges. I am my own definition of beauty. Beauty is however in the eyes of the beholder, I don't need to be your beheld.

5.  If you must comment, do so courteously.

I get that sometimes you really just want to get me and why I have made my choices, I get that. Just drop the sarcasm already. Don't tease me about not being able to afford a Brazilian weave or Indian hair, now that is just distasteful. I know you can ask questions with courtesy, so please do just that. I also get that you can't phantom what my hair must feel like; all you need to do is ask before you attempt putting your hand in my hair otherwise you will be intruding my personal space and that's not cool.

6. Why the hate?

Why the hate though? Really? It is just hair at the end of the day and hate isn't something we should do in 2017. Oh, shoot I forget, the whole world is looking out for themselves these days with popular slogans like "America first"; you can do you first, I am doing me. No need for bans. I am pretty sure you agree.

7. Get with it.

Back in the day when my locs were short, my best response to people who suggested that my hair looked awkward was "You'll get used to it". Same applies to you now, if after this you somehow still feel the need to be antsy about my hair then that's on you.  Stop suggesting I comb my locs out or cut them  off; I suggest you to get with it, instead.


I sincerely hope you were open minded enough to assimilate the above, if you require any further clarification on the subject, just ask nicely. I also want you to know that I accept and tolerate you in turn, regardless of your choices.

If you are a loc head reading this, feel free to share with all loc haters in your life and if I missed out any notes for the loc haters please don’t hesitate to drop a comment below.

Respect, peace and love.

Your sincere Loc Head,
Ade
#TeamLocitude


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Locitude #LocInspiration Hair Styles for Short Locs.

Hello Loc Heads, This one is obviously for fellow loc heads in the awkward phase of their locs. The awkward phase is usually sometime around Day 1 - Year 2; when your head is full of scalp after a fresh re-twist and your locs seem too scanty, when your hair unravels after a fresh re-twist before you say can say Jack Robinson; when you think water is your worst enemy because it's preventing your locs from forming; when you are having a bad hair day and you feel like - Oh God if only I could get my hair into a ponytail it would do. I can go on and on... but instead I present you with 7 Style Ideas for short locs. #LocInspiration no. 1: Loc loops or Loc petals. Reminds me of a cropped hair cut, this style looks classy and elegant. Can be worn to an event. It's also neat and can help with a more serious/subtle look. #LocInspiration no. 2: Pinned Up side. Even though it is just pinning up one side of your locs, it always make a difference. A touch Style. You can use ha

Hair How To: Loc Loops/Petals in 4 easy steps.

Hello, #TGIF #ItsTheWeekendBaby #PhotoShootModeActivated #Locitude #HairHowTo #LocsAndAttitude #LocWorkshop #ComingSoon #OkReadBelow. I'm obviously excited, payments for my shipment on brand new dada products stock has finally gone through (It is not easy to be a Nigerian #That'sAll), now waiting for the products to get here. I hope it doesn't take forever. I found this FREE accounting app called waves app, which is helping keep my spend together. I usually get excited when I learn new stuff, so yaaaayi. Seems this hobby is becoming a business sooner than I imagined. Sorry back to the Loc loop Tutorial... Step 1: Select two strands of locs close to each other. (You can use only one strand of loc only or 3-4 depending on how thick your locs are) Step 2: Take the ends of your strands, fold them towards the roots making a loop Step 3: Fasten the base of the loop with a tiny rubber band. Make sure it's not too tight. Step 4: Style to your taste

How I Keep My Loc Curls in Check - The 3 step process.

Hey y'all, Today was a good me day, got to hang out with my friends from way back. I was so so so glad I did. It was much fun and I am still rocking my locs in zigzag curls with an attitude. Just thought to drop a quick one on how I have maintained my locs for a whole week without loosing them. Rocking my Zigzag curls, one week in. Wore them down the whole time. Here's my simple 3 step process. 1. The Satin Bonnet Sleep in a Satin bonnet or Scarf. The primary reason for this is to retain moisture and ensure your locs are not picking up lint from your beddings. The added advantage is that is helps to retain your curls when you are asleep as well. :) 2. The Shower Cap + Tee Shirt Take a bath/shower in a shower cap. reinforced with a tee shirt. Yep, if you are trying to retain your curls water isn't your friend. Once water touches your loc curls they are gone. So I use a tee shirt to hold my shower cap up to ensure I don't get water on